"Creative Smart Phone Photography" hands on workshop by Melissa M. Fraser

Please email me photographer67@comcast.net if you are interested in this hands-on workshop

"Creative Smart Phone Photography" hands on workshop by Melissa M. Fraser

Melissa will be holding an iphone hands-on workshop October 9 Melissa Fraser iphonography workshop [Cultural Arts Center (CAC) 2-5]. To register please give a check (for $40 made out to Melissa Fraser) to me or Colleen at one of the September meetings (or send her $40 via the people-to-people mobile banking or $40 via paypal (frasermm42@verizon.net))

The ever improving camera capabilities in today’s Smartphones coupled with the fact that we typically carry them with us at all times, lends them to be an amazing tool to capture your world in a new creative way.  While my large SLR is still my go to for photography, I travel for a living and often cannot haul all that equipment with me on my trips.  Thus, I have learned to love my iPhone and the fun that comes with it.  Using a combination of lenses and apps, I have discovered a new way to creatively capture my surroundings and a fun way to pass the time on long flights.  During this 1-hour program we will review some fun tools (lenses, tripods etc) that can enhance the use of your Smartphone and we will also explore some fun shooting and editing apps that will give your creative juices a boost and help you bring out your inner painter or abstract artist.  While I make use the iPhone technology, I will reference tools and apps for other Smartphones where applicable.  After our review of Smartphone apps and technology, I will plug in my phone and show you an app or two. 

Come join us for an exciting evening exploring the world of creative smart phone photography. 













Melissa's Bio
I started my adventures in photography on a family vacation in Bar Harbor, ME at the age of 11.  A walk through a local photography gallery inspired me to take the family camera to see if I could produce amazing images, like the ones displayed in the shop.  Upon developing the film, I was hooked and began to photograph everything at every opportunity I could.  My camera became a constant in my life.

My first big award came in high school when I won a gold key for “the old barn” and a gold key and blue ribbon for “postcard dreams” at the Boston Globe Art Show.  Since that time I have been awarded 5 ribbons at various state fairs, including a chairman's choice and honorable mention at the Mid-South fair in Memphis, TN.  My work was featured in three published commercially available books: Charleston; A photographic portrait; Savannah; A photographic portrait; and Massachusetts; a photographic portrait.  I have been featured in and on the cover of Cape Cod Guide Magazine.  While in graduate school, I was featured in four MUSC Humanitas a Juried art magazines. In recent years, I have been accepted into multiple juried art exhibitions displayed at the Cape Cod Art Association with one honorable mention.  Through the years, I have photographed multiple weddings, birthday parties and social events such as MUSC graduation, Cancer Survivor Day, and SC Aquarium events.

I love to find creative ways to look at subjects, perhaps in ways that others might pass by.  I enjoy photographing all types of subjects, particularly in an abstract way. Finding abstract images is also a way for me to express the abstract feelings from being an artist and scientist in trade.  As a scientist, we deal in fact and fact alone, there are not many creative outlets when writing or presenting scientific research.  But I am an artist at heart and have always enjoyed creative writing and using my imagination, something that doesn’t fit with my chosen profession.  Photography offers a great creative outlet, which is something missing from my day job.  Going out for an afternoon of shooting images is a great way to relive the stress of the week and finding a new way to look at the environment that surrounds me.

My recent work has included using both iPhone and creative in camera techniques.  I have started sharing my love of creative smartphone photography during programs at the NH Audubon Society and the Greater Lynn Photographic Association.

www.Melissamfraserphotography.com
Instagram: Frasermm42