Annual Awards Competition Instructions
Below are instructions copied from our Online Handbook. Here are the Highlights.
▪ To be eligible, images must have been entered into an NHCC competition during this season (2010-2011).
▪ No two images may be the same. If you enter an image as a print, you may not enter it as an electronic image. If you enter an image in the electronic open competition, you may not enter it into the nature competition or into the landscape/seascape competition.
▪ You may enter 4 prints. (please number them 1, 2, 3, 4 along with your name)
▪ You may enter 4 electronic images into the open category - Class B or Class A.
Keep the month and year as they were when you originally submitted them.
Change the numbers to A1, A2, A3, A4 or B1, B2, B3, B4.
▪ Note: Category images may be entered into the open category, as there is no separate category competition at the annual awards competition.
▪ You may enter 2 images into the Joe DiChello Landscape/Seascape comp. These images may have previously been entered as prints, open electronic images, or category images. However, they must now be entered as electronic images. The titles of these images should begin with D1 or D2.
▪ You may enter 2 images into the Jane Sibley Nature competition.
These images may have previously been entered as prints, open electronic images, or category images. However, they must now be entered as electronic images. The titles of these images should begin with S1 or S2.
▪ Prints should be brought on the night of the banquet. If you are not attending the banquet, you may have someone else enter them for you.
▪ Electronic images should be emailed to Paul Peterson using the regular club email address email@example.com
▪ Even though the handbook says the deadline is the Friday before the competition, I would like all entries by WEDNESDAY, MAY 18, to allow me enough time to organize them.
Any questions? Email Paul Peterson firstname.lastname@example.org or Call him at 203-488-0267
Below are the complete rules as copied from the NHCC Handbook
New Haven Camera Club Handbook
Annual Awards Competition
At the Annual Awards Banquet each year the print- and electronic photograph-of-the year competitions will be held.
1. Eligibility: All Open Category prints, Open Category electronic photographs, or Assignment
electronic photographs entered in that year’s competitions are eligible as follows:
Original Category of Entry End of Year Competition Eligibility
Open Print Competition Open Print Competition (maximum of 4
photographs may be entered)
Joe Dichello Landscape/Seascape competition if converted to an electronic image (maximum of 2 photographs may be entered)
Jane Sibley Nature Competition if converted to an electronic image (maximum of 2 photographs may be entered)
Open Electronic Photograph Competitions
Assignment Electronic Photograph Competition
Open Electronic Photograph Competition
(maximum of 4 photographs may be entered)
Joe Dichello Landscape/Seascape
(maximum of 2 photographs may be entered)
Jane Sibley Nature Competition
(maximum of 2 photographs may be entered)
2. Number of entries: 4 prints for print-of-the-year and 4 electronic photographs for electronic photograph-of-the-year.
In addition, 2 electronic photographs may be submitted to a special landscape/seascape competition for the Joe Dichello Memorial Award and 2 electronic photos may be submitted to a special nature competition for the Jane Sibley Honor Award.
The images on these photographs must have been entered in one category of competition (prints, open electronic photographs, or assignment electronic photographs) during the year; those originally entered as prints must be converted to electronic photographs to be entered in these special competitions.
3. Each photograph may be entered only once in an end of the year competition.
If a photograph is entered in one of the Open category competitions it may not be entered in either the Joe Dichello Landscape/Seascape or the Jane Sibley Nature special competitions.
If a photograph is entered in either the Joe Dichello or Jane Sibley special competition it may not be entered into the other special competition or one of the Open category competitions.
4. Judging: By 3 outside judges.
Each class is judged separately using the in-out method of scoring
(score of 1 signifying “in” and a score of 0 signifying “out”), no comments.
In the first round all photographs that receive two or three "ins" will advance to the second round of judging.
In the second round only those photographs receiving three "ins" will advance to the final round.
Judges will select a first, second, and honorable mention from those photographs receiving three "ins". If in the second round only two photographs receive three "ins", the judges will pick a first and second place from those two photographs. An honorable mention will be selected from those photographs receiving two "ins".
If only one photograph receives three “ins” it will automatically be given first place. A second and honorable mention will be chosen from those photographs receiving two "ins".
5. Electronic Photographs: After first, second, and honorable mention photographs are chosen in each class (B and A), the two first place photographs (one from each class) will be judged against each other for electronic photograph-of-the-year.
6. The electronic photograph judged to be the best nature photograph (in a separate competition) will be awarded the Jane Sibley Honor Award.
7. The electronic photograph judged to be the best landscape or seascape (in a separate competition) will be awarded the Joseph A. Dichello Jr. Memorial Award.
8. Delivery of entries: Bring prints to the year end dinner. Electronic photographs (including those for the Joe Dichello Memorial Award and Jane Sibley Honor Award) must be e-mailed to an e-mail address designated by the Vice President for Inside competitions by midnight on the Friday night prior to the annual dinner to give the competition committee time to organize the photographs for the competition.
Alternatively the director of the electronic competitions may have retained the photos used during the year and only the titles of the selected photos will have to be sent. Each electronic photography competitor will receive an e-mail after the May competition with specific instructions.
9. Awards: Ribbons are awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and honorable mention winners in each category/class.Trophies are award to the photograph-of-the-year chosen in each category of competition. It is presented at the first meeting in September.
10. Return of entries: Prints will be returned at the end of the dinner meeting. Please claim yours before you leave. Electronic photographs will not be returned.