Susan Naumann's winning image

Here is Susan Naumann's winning image from September 28, 2009



These "merged" images were taken on July 29, 2009. They day was overcast, drizzly, and dismal, with a storm brewing. In fact, just as we were about to leave, the rain came down. Excellent weather for photographing bright yellow flowers with highly reflective petals :-)

Why did I take the pictures? Because of my passion for sunflowers. Fortunately, Peter & I chose exactly the right day to make our pilgrimage to Buttonwood Farm, Griswold, CT.

I used my Nikon D200 . . . . .
Lens: AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED (all-purpose lens)
ISO 100
f/9.0
0.004 sec (1/250)
Flash off (flash not fired)
No tripod (hand-held)

Possibly, my new circular polarizing filter was in place. Being unaccustomed to using the filter, I did not keep it on my lens for my whole sunflower shoot.

I applied Gaussian Blur to the background image so the mass of smiling faces would not "compete" with the star's headshot.

This was my very first creative effort with my brand-new Apple Laptop & Adobe Photoshop CS4. In fact, my very first-ever experiment with the use of layers! Talk about FUN! Before August 11, 2009, I was working with a malfunctioning DELL laptop & Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0.