Join NHCC on Monday March 9th for “Creative Flower Photography” a presentation by Paul Peterson and Denise Saldaña

Creative Flower Photography --  Presentation by Paul Peterson and Denise Saldaña

Join NHCC on Monday March 9th for “Creative Flower Photography” a presentation by Paul Peterson and Denise Saldaña

Where: Unitarian Society of New Haven 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden
When: come at 6:45, programs start at 7:00

Presentation is free and open to the public

About the Program:
Creative Flower Photography: Paul will demonstrate how he takes close up flower photographs indoors, using diffused sunlight as a light source. He has previously presented a program on Easy Close Up Photography. The upcoming presentation will be a shortened version of that program, updated for the digital age in which so much can be done to enhance the photograph after it is first captured. Denise will discuss flowers as a photographic subject. She will emphasize the importance of the background in flower photography and share some of her tricks for making backgrounds more appealing. She will discuss manual shooting and creating a soft background using a wide aperture. You will be able to see some of her own homemade backgrounds used in her photography. Denise will also display her light tent and her light box and explain how she uses these for her photography.

Come to a NHCC Meeting!
When: 2nd and 4th Mondays, 7:00 pm (September thru May).
Where: Unitarian Universalist church in Hamden; 700 Hartford Turnpike, Hamden, CT 06517
Programs are free and open to the public




Denise Saldaña Biography

I was born and raised in bright, lush, tropical Puerto Rico. My father was an avid photographer and a gardener. I give him credit for both these interests. He gave me my first Brownie and, when I got older, his Leica camera. In my photography, I search for the light and color that I grew up with. They are important themes in my work. Many of my pieces are nature related, with a special interest in flowers, birds, and insects. My shots are composed both outdoors and inside in my studio. My particular interest is macro photography. I shoot very close to my subject and compose my photo with color, line, detail, lighting, and background in mind. In my presentation, I will discuss some ideas for shooting flowers and, hopefully, share my joy in creating them. www.denisesaldana.pixels.com

Paul Peterson joined the New Haven Camera Club in 1980. It was just a few years after joining that he first started taking close up photos. As a high school biology teacher, Paul appreciated the delicate details of wildflowers, insects, and other small animals. Not wanting to invest in a lot of expensive macro photography equipment, he developed a method of photographing small subjects indoors using diffused sunlight as a light source. Over the years, he expanded his subjects to include cultivated flowers, fruits and vegetables, and many other small subjects. With the advent of digital photography, Paul has added creativity to his work. He takes his basic images and then manipulates them in various ways to produce a more artistic image. At their core, however, Paul's images are simple compositions which are created with a very simple set up.